Do You Know Where (or Who) Your
- The people who are starting college this
fall across the nation were born in 1988.
- The Iranian hostage crisis occurred before
they were conceived.
- They have no memory of a time before MTV.
- "New Wave" is their PARENTS musical
- Cyndi Lauper, Boy George, the Pretenders,
the Kinks, the Sex Pistols -- are all old musicians who they
have probably never heard of.
- They have no meaningful recollection of
the Clinton era. The only vaguely understand who Monica Lewinsky was.
- They were infants when the Persian
Gulf War was waged.
- If they have heard the name "Oliver
North," it was probably as a losing Congressional candidate,
or perhaps in some obscure survey history text reference, such
as might be made to Huey Long or Teapot Dome.
- Black Monday 1987 is as significant to
them as the Great Depression.
- Their world has always included AIDS.
- Having not lived through the Disco Scare,
they can romanticize the 1970s.
- They see "Family Ties" as something
middle-aged ladies watch.
- They think the "Star Wars" movies are lame or, at best,
- Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums
and cassette audiotapes; they may have heard of an 8-track, but
probably have never actually seen, or heard one.
- From their earliest years, a camera was
something you used once and threw away.
- As far as they know, stamps have always
cost around 30 cents.
- The oil crisis is history of which they probably know
- Most of them have probably never seen
a real nun, even if they went to Catholic schools.